The Cathedral Museum of Cebu is a museum situated in Downtown Cebu City in the Philippines. It was re-opened in November 2006, where this house was an old rectory of Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral during 1880′s. It is the ecclesiastical museum of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cebu. The focus of the museum is regional Church architecture and artifacts. Many of the items on display are from the Spanish colonial times.
It is situated next to the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, walking distance to Patria De Cebu, and not far from the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño. Various collection from the past is housed in a building which is in itself a museum piece which goes back to the 19th century. The building was one of the few surviving structures in downtown Cebu City that was totally spared from the destruction of World War II. It also survived uninformed renovators and the natural elements.
It was built in the early nineteenth century probably during the incumbency of Cebu Bishop Santos Gomez Marañon. Bishop Marañon, who was known as a church builder, was responsible for the construction of the churches of Oslob, Cebu and Naga, the Episcopal Palace across the cathedral, the bell tower of Argao and the convent of Sibonga. It was first the parish convent of the Cathedral, then a school of the University of San Carlos, then a cooperative store, and even as a temporary chapel during the renovation of the Cathedral.
The Cathedral Museum of Cebu
Complete address: Manalili corner P. Gomez Street, Cebu City, Cebu
Contact Number:+63 (032) 412-3455